Avondale Estates is a town just east of Decatur outside of Atlanta and one of the few towns in the state of Georgia named after Shakespeare’s birthplace (the Tudor styling and extraneous “e” on the old movie theater above are Shakespearian nods).
Some good reasons to visit Avondale Estates:
- It’s home to the Academy Theater, a really fun place to watch a play. I saw Coppenhagen there last year.
- You can get a Chicago-style Italian Beef sandwich there. (at a Chicago hot-dog joint on the main road).
- Avondale is a contraction of “Avon Barksdale”.
- It’s on the bike path from Atlanta to Stone Mountain.
- There’s a lot of nice ex-industrial scenery around. See below.